29TH MARCH 2015
Snetterton's original purpose was as an RAF airfield, designated for use by the 96th United States Air Force Bomber Group between May 1943 and November 1948. The circuit itself was created in 1951 from the network of remaining runways and its first race event was held in the same year by the Aston Martin Owner's Club.
The circuit configuration has changed several times during Snetterton's 60 year history. In the 1960s and early 70s it was 2.7 miles in length and during this period Russell Bend was added as the final corner of the track, in order to slow race vehicles as they approached the pits. Since the 1970s, however, the lap was shortened considerably to just under two miles until 2010, when circuit owner MSV announced the greatest redevelopment in the venue's history to create a new multi-configuration layout, completed in February 2011.
FOR MORE INFORMATION VISIT: